Are you sure you want to delete your account?
You have indicated you do not agree to our terms of use, do you wish to delete your account?
Why not sign up?

You will also be registered for the agent to contact you via other means you provide, with information relevant to your property search.

There was an error creating your account, please try again. If the problem persists, please contact us and we will investigate.
Password does not match
How would you like to be contacted?

How to set up your Energy and Gas bills for the first time

Published: 18/03/2021

Before you move
Contact your supplier to let them know of your move.
You will be required to take a meter reading on your last day in the property to provide this to your supplier.
Give your new address to your existing supplier so they can send you your closing bill and refund any accumulated balance in your account.

Moving day
Make a note of meter readings at your new address. If you haven’t arranged to transfer your existing tariff, you will inherit a ‘deemed’ contract, which you will stay on until you switch. Switching tariffs can take up to 21 days so it is best to do this at the earliest point possible. 

After you move
Settle the final bill for your old property when it arrives at your new address

How to find out who the current suppliers are:

For gas - use The Meter Point Administration Service at Find My Supplier or call 0870 608 1524.

For electricity - contact the Local Distribution Centre for your area.
Southern England
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks: 
0800 048 3516

Find the gas and electricity meters
You’ll most likely find your electricity and gas meters in the kitchen, hallway or outside the property.

A standard credit meter, which will display numbers in dial or digital form. You’ll be billed either monthly or quarterly if you have one of these.

A prepayment meter, which lets you pay for your energy in advance, usually by topping up a key card with credit.

Once you’ve found the gas and electric meters, you’ll need to take a meter reading and submit it to the supplier when they set up your account.  
Your meter readings will also be noted in your check-in report if one has taken place, if you are still unsure, your landlord or managing agent can assist.

Meter number
Both gas and electricity meters have a supply number for your home. You’ll need these numbers when you contact the supplier to set up your account.

The gas supply Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) will be on your energy bill and is usually between 6 - 10 digits long. If you don’t have a bill, you can request your MPRN from the Meter Point Administration Service.

Meter Number Helpline
Telephone: 0870 608 1524
Calls to this number cost 7p a minute, plus your phone company's access charge.

The electricity supply Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN) is 21 digits long and can also be found on your energy bill. Contact the supplier directly, if you can’t find a bill.